Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Top 10 OB moments...

The last three weeks on Parkland's Labor and Deliver wards have been hectic. Here are the highlights:

10. I delivered my first baby the first fifteen minutes of being on Labor and Delivery! It was such an amazing, emotional experience. Then, I almost fainted from all the blood. I was able to deliver nine more babies basically by myself over the three weeks. One short of my goal! But still awesome.

9. At least five of my teen moms and pops asked if I was married or had kids. Um, nope. It was funny, though. I couldn't exactly say, "No, I'm WAY too young to have kids" to a seventeen year old girl who already had two of her own.

8. My teammates!!!!! Irene was my night float partner, and she of course is adorable. Then, Pam and Shirley, my day compadres were witty and helpful and wonderful. We had a blast. At least I did. They sure make the 10 to 14 hour shifts on Labor and Delivery more fun.

7. Last night, one of the dads asked if I was going to be a doctor for the money. Awesome.

6. One of my moms on my last day on labor and delivery was a 46 year old G9P7 (That means that she had been pregnant nine times, with seven kids and one in the tummy). I took a little extra history and found out that her oldest "kiddo" was 27, and she had twelve grandchildren! Some of her grandchildren have aunts and uncles who are younger than they are! Crazy!

5. Getting to speak Spanish all the time was AMAZING. Something like 80% of the moms speak Spanish only. I think my Spanish has improved by 100%. Wonderful.

4. "Every time I close my eyes, all I see is blood everywhere." --Irene, my dear friend and night float partner at the end of our last night shift

3. "Meconium happens." A button on an L+D nurse's uniform--I totally want one. (Meconium is basically a baby's first poop.)

2. One of the dads saw his baby girl and thought that she was so beautiful that he changed her name on the spot from April to Linda (which means pretty in Spanish).

1. According to shirt worn by and L+D nurse outlining the ten top reasons to work at Parkland's Labor and Delivery, the number one reason is...."We put the fun in fundus." Hahaha.

4 comments:

Anna said...

I love your list! How about #11=you are awesome!

TK said...

hey, I like the blog. What is your last rotation?

Leslie Hutchins said...

I like your list as well.....I never got the are you married with kids....I look so young, I guess they assumed not. Or if they asked me, I didn't understand. My spanish went from terrible to not so terrible! Good luck on the exam on Friday.

chaeli said...

every time i read your blog it's like i'm reading the script for your very own super cool doctor tv show. much better than grey's anatomy. alli's anatomy. becoming a doctor seems AWESOME. i know it's hard, but no less awesome, right? delivering babies and talking to their moms in spanish!! like i said, awesome. you're amazing.