Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Wisdom from my psych patients...

Yes, my patients on the eating disorder unit like to give me career advice. Which they are really not supposed to do, as it crosses professional/patient boundaries. It's pretty challenging to maintain those boundaries, actually, as the women are of similar age to me and have had many similar experiences. Anyway...my favorite advice was:

"Skip the crazies, go with the babies. I should know."

I just might take that advice...I'm really leaning toward pediatrics right now. I love helping patients with mood disorders, anxiety disorders, and eating disorders, but the rest of psych just isn't that interesting to me. However, the idea of someday getting a degree in Christian counseling after my pediatrics certification is quite appealing. Something to think about. My attending, who is absolutely wonderful, has given me quite a bit of autonomy on my rotation--I'm actually sort of giving therapy! A student version of it, of course. My attending also wants me to still consider psychiatry and told me that I have a rare ability to understand people's motivations and also that I have a natural rapport with patients. Which is very kind...I'm not sure if that's true or not.

Oh, another great story. Every week, the patients have a spirituality class. Today they talked about how their eating disorders become their gods and starve their souls, preventing them from relating to their higher power. (This is a secular program.) Then, one of my patients, the same one who gave me the wise career advice, said, "I wanna binge on Jesus!" Brilliant.

I love this rotation. But I'm still going to be a pediatrician. I think. If I could only make up my mind for sure.

1 comment:

Leslie Hutchins said...

Your attending is right. You have a gift!

Leslie