Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Kinda frustrating day.

I'm at neurology at the VA, which is pretty chill. However, today was a bit disastrous. It was my first presentation to my new attending, and it did NOT go well. I did a thorough history and exam, thought I had all my ducks in a row, and then asked my resident if there was anything else I needed to know. I also went over my plan with my resident, including suggesting a certain type of medication. He said that this medication was not indicated at this time but that otherwise everything was fine.

So...I started presenting, and this resident interrupted me with, "Oh, by the way, I called the patient's roommate and got a completely different story..." WHAT? Way to surprise me on rounds after I go to the trouble of specifically asking you if there is anything else. Then, I get to the plan, and as it turns out, my resident was wrong...the patient did need the type of medication that I had suggested in the first place. So I looked dumb again when I presented the plan. What's worse, my resident not only didn't stick up for me (by saying, oh, she had it right in the first place, I told her wrong), he totally jumped on the bandwagon and said, Oh, yes, he needs that medication. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? My attending is nice, but, man I was mad, and I actually asked my resident to not surprise me on rounds again. Which I don't think he understood...but if a student goes to the trouble to check things out with you before rounds, you should not withhold information.

Oh, and a third year pimped me on rounds. Which also pissed me off but I think amused the attending...he didn't expect me to know the question. And this third year is nice, so I'm not mad anymore. Rule of thumb, third year medical students: Do not pimp each other on rounds. If you are curious about something you can ask later. I'm pretty sure this student, nice as he is, was doing this to look smart to the attending...but that is not the way to be considerate to your teammates.

What a day! Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That stinks! Not hanging students out to dry will go in my "Note to Self" as a future resident. hang in there dude.

Leslie Hutchins said...

Allison,

I hope the VA ended up okay. I hate when residents do that....just to make themselves look better. I had one just like that during this last rotation and boy it made my life a living hell for two weeks. I loved the rest of my team, but boy one person can make life suck. You have to watch those 3rd years....their class is VERY CUT THROAT. They don't know who they are messing with. I hope your exam went well. I am headed down to Houston this next month. Then on to Memphis....I will keep you posted.

Stuart said...

Well, hope it got better...certainly was fun workin' with y'all at the VA. Good luck with the rest of 4th year!