Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fun on call.

I am loving my rotation this month. Kind of surprising...since it's one of those 80 hour/week in the hospital rotations. I'm the senior resident on the "Family Medicine" team, which is a group of family medicine residents on the pediatrics wards. They are AWESOME. It's so much fun. And I also get to do overnight heme-onc (blood disorder/cancer) call, which I love. All in all a great gig, although I'm no good at staying up for 30 hours in a row and actually keeping my head together.

I admitted a 13 year old sickle cell anemia patient overnight, who was super adorable. The following interaction ensued:

Me: You are really delightful.
Patient: What's that?
Me (admittedly feeling a pressing need to give her some vocabulary flashcards): It basically just means that you are totally awesome.
Patient: Oh! (big grin) So are you!

I freakin' love pediatrics.

No comments: