Friday, April 20, 2007

I'm thinking of retiring...

Not from medicine, of course. But my brief stint as a singer/songwriter might be over. I wrote one little sort of girl angst song that actually didn't sound terrible. I was almost proud of it. It's not total crap (although undoubtedly partial crap).

Then, I played it for just a couple of people who wanted to hear it. Which I thought would not be a big deal. It's not like I was advertising it as anything more than low-quality melodic ramblings. But...I don't know. Now I feel all vulnerable and weird...like something that should have stayed in my private world is now in the public domain. It doesn't help that some folks sort of accidentally overheard it (hard to explain in a blog), which means that eight whole people have heard my little song.

I don't know how real musicians, poets, writers do it...put themselves out there in such a public way. I'm a talentless pretender, and I still feel weird about it.

1 comment:

Leslie Hutchins said...

I've felt the same way about my artwork. I have submitted two pieces in the medical school show that I was really proud of, and then never got an award...even an honorable mention. Felt bummed about it, and was like....I should have just kept them on my wall. So I know how you feel, but I really liked your song, and don't think you should throw in the towel just yet!