Sunday, April 29, 2007

Labor and Delivery!

Last night I started night float on the high risk delivery floor at Parkland Memorial Hospital. Parkland is the busiest labor and delivery service in the whole country! Anyway, it's totally a blast. I got to deliver a baby within the first thirty minutes! Then I delivered the placenta. Then I almost fainted. Yeah, so embarrassing. I always thought I was a tough cookie. Four weeks of trauma, tons of gross gangrene on medicine...and I didn't even flinch. But between the generous egress of blood (I did NOT realize there was so much) and the excitement of delivering my first baby...I just got really dizzy. Oh well. It was kind of a laugh.

I also got to scrub in on a Caesarian section....and my resident said that my knot tying was the best she had seen from a third year! Awww....how sweet.

The main problem? When the baby comes out, I want to go be with him or her. But I have to stay with mom. Yeah, I'm not cut out for Ob-Gyn, but it's pretty fun while it lasts.

Only three more nights of night float!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Let's just say your blog has taken a turn for the better. I really like the pink, and I think I need to update mine.

PS I gave my friend Matt your telephone number, b/c he was asking me med school financing questions, and I said he should just ask you. :)