Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Night float done!

I'm done with OB night float, which totally rocks. But I have to admit, I had a blast. I got to deliver four babies on my own and help with tons more. My two favorite experiences were not even the times I was able to deliver the baby. Two nights ago, I helped this sweet lady push for four hours (the upper limit of normal is three). She only spoke Spanish...and the midwife did not really...so I was able to comfort her, I think. The upper level resident called a C-section on her for "arrest of descent" (as in the baby wasn't coming out), but the mama was so determined to have the baby vaginally that she pushed him out before they had the chance to take her to the OR! Anyway, she cried, I teared up...it was really a sweet time. And then she was so grateful to the midwife and to me for helping her. Honestly a gratifying experience, and all I did was encourage and talk with her!

Then last night was kind of slow...I only got to deliver one baby and assist in another (the second baby had a bowel movement in the amniotic fluid, which can be a sign of fetal stress...so no med student delivery). However, I hung out with Marta, the coolest midwife of all time! She helped me with my Spanish, and we practiced all night. Awesomeness.

What I'm about to say is going to sound really strange to some people, but that is okay. I realized something important during my first nights of OB. I saw quite a few moms lose their babies, and it is such a trauma and tragedy in their lives. I want to marry the type of man who I would want by my side if we ever lost a baby. Does that make any sense? I want a man who would grieve outwardly, who would cry with me and not turn cold, who would stay strong in his faith that God is good and loving and sovereign in the midst of all of that. Kind of off topic, I know, but I've actually thought about it a lot during the past couple of days.

Two days off and then two more weeks of days on OB. I was dreading this, but it really is fun. Yay. :)

No comments: