Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Top Ten Reasons Why I Need to Get Married

I hope this post isn't too self-promoting; that is not the intention. It's just that I'm somewhat frustrated about my current relationship status (really, really single), and I need an outlet. So please humor me.

Why I would be better off married:
1. If I fail out of medical school, I need a back up plan. OK, I'm just kidding on that one.
2. I can't drive. At some point this will be detrimental to my personal health. I've already been in three accidents since medical school started. And I've learned from my limited experience with men that they often like to drive. If I get married, I will drive less and my life expectancy will increase.
3. I love to watch sports. And sports are more fun to watch with others. Girls, while excellent companions for watching Veronica Mars and Gilmore Girls, are somewhat less excited about watching the Mavs game (or the Colts kicking the Patriots' collective butt or the Tour de France or basically the entire Olympic Games summer and winter) with me. Guys, this is a sweet deal. I won't make you turn the channel when the big game's on. I seriously sat through the entire New York City marathon last year...and loved it. I even watch curling (although I honestly don't understand it very well). Note: this enjoyment of sports spectatorship does not extend to actually DOING sports. I wish! But I'm a total klutz.
4. I need to bake. And baking for one is not good for the figure. Men, I've heard, are willing receptacles for cookies, cakes, fudge, and the like. I can see how this arrangement could be beneficial for the man, as well.
5. I don't think I'm suited very well for lifelong virginity. Though I am committed to obeying God on this matter, the state of marriage would be a more pleasant way of being obedient with respect to this particular subject. And that is all I am going to say.
6. I really want kiddos at some point. And adoption isn't so easy for us single folks. Plus, I am a proponent of the whole two parent thing. Besides, could y'all imagine me raising a boy? I could see that being disastrous. At least he would like watching sports.
7. I'm not very handy. Now I think women can and should be able to change tires and fix running toilets and all of those exciting things. I feel embarrassed that this is on my why I need a husband list. But I have a special deficit for all things mechanical (I blame my extremely poor hand-eye coordination), and it would be nice to have a life partner to help with these things. In the meantime, I will try to learn. I did assemble my Target laundry rack by myself.
8. At some point I need to stop calling my dad when I need to negotiate a car sale or the rent or whatever. Again, number six indicates that I should probably learn to do this. But the girly-girl in me would really like a man to handle all of this.
9. Who am I going to play with when all my friends get married?
10. And finally, seriously, having that mutually exclusive, 'til death do us part companionship is a big desire of my heart. I really want to meet that special someone and all the excitement and day-to-day ordinariness of marriage. Yeah, yeah, the idealism of a single girl, I know. I hope that someday...but until then, I've got to rejoice in the single life I have right now. And there is so much to be joyous about!

And all joking aside, I am a capable, independent woman (for the most part, and only by the grace of God), which is definitely something to be grateful for.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Um, is it just me, or do you like blogging? FYI you are linked on my blog, so potentially other people could read it, as in, I think some people already have. This is an awesome list. I think the point about driving was excellent. Another reason you need to get married: to learn compromise, e.g. you have awesome music taste (mostly), and you might have to love someone who loves CCR, like me. See, compromise.