Friday, September 7, 2007

Subinternship week 2

I'm finishing out my second week of my pediatrics subinternship, and it's so hard. But I think things are going well. I'm more comfortable now with managing my patients and writing orders and all that jazz. Plus, my attending, who I was worried thought I was a total doofus, actually thinks I'm pretty swell. Which is more of a relief than anything. I'm tired, though...and on call tomorrow. Plus I'm on a kind of ICU stepdown service instead of the bread and butter peds service that I wanted.

Well, you can't always get what you want...but, as the wise Rolling Stones pointed out, "if you try sometime you just might find you get what you need." Totally true. I have amazingly supportive residents, and the kids are adorable. And God is somehow blessing me with the knowledge, energy and confidence that I need to get through this...and really enjoy it most of the time! And even though I have a hard time trusting that God will do the same when I have to do this for a whole year next year, I know He will.

For the record, I will go over 90 hours this week at the hospital. Good times. :)

Oh, and I want to clear up something about my experience doing neurology at the VA. A couple of entries ago I ranted about one very frustrating day. As it turns out, I had an awesome time...great team, fantastic attending...tons of fun. One of my teammates read that entry and called me out on it. I promise, I loved my neuro rotation!

1 comment:

Leslie Hutchins said...

I understand about ranting, I do it myself. I am glad your peds rotation is going well, and I really understand about the hours. Great job on the LP & I'm proud that you got your application done and submitted. I'm impressed! You got it in about the same time I did & you aren't even early match!