Tuesday, October 16, 2007

God is bigger than my feelings.

I went to Bible study tonight...it actually ended up being just me and my dear friend Andrea...so I got to see a video that I had missed a few weeks back. The teacher on the video made several profound points about God and also about our battles against sin and evil.

The point that really made an impression on me is that God is so much bigger than how I feel. He is bigger than my battles, more powerful than every possible temptation. He is greater than my screwups and my misconceptions and skewed perceptions. He has won victory over death and, in that, I too can be victorious.

Application of this truth is more difficult. Sometimes I feel really angry with God when I have feelings that I know are not in line with His will for my life. My feelings are often a jumbled up, angsty mess, and I ask, Lord, how can you allow me to have these emotions that are so confusing? I am also dealing with a couple of specific sin areas in my life...some things I've struggled with for a long time. Sometimes I feel like I can never have victory over these parts of my life. What a lie. I resolve to tell myself, whenever I am tempted or stray or succumb or just have frustrating feelings that I don't understand, that my God is so much bigger than all of these things.

1 comment:

Leslie Hutchins said...

I get back this weekend and will be in town up until Friday so let me know if you want to get together sometime in there. I have a hair appointment on the 31st and an eye appointment on the 30th in the afternoon, but other than that....I'm good!

Leslie