Saturday, March 14, 2009

The blog is back again!



I really am going to try to post on a regular basis. My inspiration for renewing this blog is really not wanting to work on my journal club presentation. Sorry, Tiffany....

It's been nearly a year since I've posted, so I won't give a huge update. I graduated from medical school, packed up and moved to Salt Lake City, and started pediatrics residency. It's been hard and awesome. My schedule was "front-loaded", so the worst of intern year is over. Only one more month where I have every fourth night call!

What has made this year awesome:
1. Awesome co-interns. I don't hang out with them as much as I should because I've gotten all shy and stuff. Weird, I know. But they are some of the smartest, kindest, coolest people I've ever met. Heart.

2. Awesome mountains. So gorgeous. I've been hiking and snowshoeing but no skiing. Scandalous, I know. I'm working on being a little more adventurous. I have gone into major hermit mode this year.

3. My awesome cat. Her name is Gracie. I adopted her from a shelter a few days before she was going to get put down. She is super cuddly. She is actually sitting on my lap now and purring up a storm.

4. Awesome patients. Kids are cute. Pediatrics is the best field. They also make you very sweet arts and crafts projects. I have also had at least three patients, all under the age of 6, point out that I look much better in my ID photo than I do in real life. (They do see me in the middle of the night most of the time, but still!) Ha!

I intubated a baby last night (just temporarily). And the baby did totally fine. That was pretty cool.

What has made this year a little less awesome:
1. Driving to work before 5:30 am before the plows go through.
2. Suddenly being shy and not very social....again, so weird.
3. Gaining weight because of poor diet and exercise. OK...so maybe number 2 is has something to do with embarrassment/shame related to number 3. But I'm working on it!
4. The universal intern fear of screwing up and harming a patient.

The awesomeness outweighs the badness, though. :)

Lots of love to the four people who read this blog!

No comments: