Friday, March 5, 2010

One call, that's all.

I do appreciate lawyers and feel that they are, in the highest sense, important advocates for people. However, I do feel that we as a society, especially in this country, are too litigious. We have this need to assign blame and to know that everything that goes wrong is someone's fault. Sometimes bad things just happen, and it's no one's fault. I also feel that we have a national obsession of getting what we deserve.

I'm thinking about this because of a billboard I saw driving home. It was an advertisement for a popular injury law firm in Utah. On the right was the slogan, "Trip and fall, make the call," and on the right was a person falling down a flight of stairs. A rather well lit flight of stairs at that. Really? Is it now someone else's fault if we fall down the stairs? Do all stairwells now need to have a disclaimer? "Warning, you are about to walk down a flight of stairs. Enter at your own risk." Hmmm.